It’s odd to think that OSI Group, which has 65 facilities in 17 different countries, began as a local butcher shop. OSI began as Otto Kolschowsky’s German-influence retail meat market in 20th century Chicago. Otto moved to Chicago in 1907 and opened his butcher market two years later.
It didn’t take long for his business to grow into one of the largest meat suppliers in the region. Through both World Wars, his butcher company maintained its place as a vital part of American life in the Midwest. In 1928, his changed the named to Otto & Sons, following the path that many immigrant businesses took during those years.
While Otto ran the company, Otto & Sons survived both World Wars. When his sons took over the business, they formed a partnership that lasts to this day. In 1955, Ray Kroc opened the first McDonald’s in the world.
Before opening in Des Plaines, Kroc went around forming partnerships with local meat vendors to supply his restaurant. After the restaurant opened, many suppliers struggled to keep up with demand, causing many to break from McDonald’s. Otto’s sons, Arthur and Harry, never backed down and began investing in new technologies that helped them keep up with Kroc’s demand.
In 1973, using cryogenic freezing machines, the brothers opened a factory in West Chicago that only produced for McDonald’s. Thanks to the new plant and their close relationship with Kroc, Otto & Sons became one of only four suppliers to continue working with McDonald’s.
Soon after that, Otto & Sons divided their company into two sectors: one that continued serving the community and one that worked solely with McDonald’s. In 1975, the family business transformed one more time and became OSI Industries. To lead the new company, the brothers brought in Sheldon Lavin, who currently runs OSI Group and its subsidiaries.
Find more about OSI Group: https://osigroup.jobs.net/